Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What to Send: A Short List

Wikipedia has an interesting bit on the origins of care packages. If you are anything like my father-in-law, you might be interested to know that...

"The first CARE Packages contained:[3]

  • one pound of beef in broth
  • one pound of steak and kidneys
  • 8 ounces of liver loaf
  • 8 ounces of corned beef
  • 12 ounces of luncheon loaf (like Spam)
  • 8 ounces of bacon
  • 2 pounds of margarine
  • one pound of lard
  • one pound of fruit preserves
  • one pound of honey
  • one pound of raisins
  • one pound of chocolate
  • 2 pounds of sugar
  • 8 ounces of egg powder
  • 2 pounds of whole-milk powder
  • 2 pounds of coffee"
So, perhaps not a jumping off point for what to send Marc. Maybe this list from him would be more helpful:
  • protein bars and/or protein shakes
  • stationary (got some regular paper and envelopes today so I could start writing to you guys, especially Wesley, but it'd be cool to have something a little nicer)
  • smelly candles or incense or oil burner thingy. Our room smells a bit like poop.
  • Warcraft time card. These would be nice once the internet gets up in the room.
  • gift cards to places I could shop online. Best Buy cards, for example would be awesome.
  • letters or emails. It's really nice actually to just get emails from people, or even just Facebook messages. Regular letters would be nice too, I guess.
  • magnets. I don't really NEED things to hang up in the CHU (containerized housing unit), but it might be fun to have like a collection of stuff that people sent.
  • I'd prefer not to get a bunch of junk food. Not that it'd be bad, cause I could just put it in the pool at the flight line for everybody to enjoy, but I don't want to have a bunch of junk sitting around that I have to try not to eat. :) Sunflower seeds wouldn't be bad.
They do have to open the packages in front of a commanding officer, so everything is monitored. Alcohol is prohibited. Also, be mindful of things that will melt, like chocolate, or spoil since transit time can take up to 4 weeks (though I heard that M&Ms hold up well...melts in your mouth, not in the desert).

3 comments:

  1. That first list you posted reminded me of a haiku (a spamku, actually) that I read once:

    Millions starve in Guam.
    US Army airlifts spam.
    Millions starve in Guam.

    No spam for Marc; got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should try a science experiment and see if that is true about the M&M's

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first list was making me nauseous. Thanks for the list, Marc. Now I have an idea of what to look for when I'm out & about.

    ReplyDelete