Friday, July 17, 2009

War is Hell

Having settled a bit into Camp Warrior here in lovely Kirkuk, Iraq, I thought I'd share with you a few of the atrocities I have to endure while fighting the war on terror:
  1. No internet in my room! But fear not, they tell us this will be remedied within the week. So I should have it at least by September.
  2. The Pizza Hut doesn't deliver, and it's BAREly within shouting distance of my room!
  3. It is at least a 5 minute walk to the place where I drop my laundry off to get it washed for free!
  4. My 24 hour gym is often very busy between the hours of 5 and 6am! This makes it very difficult to find a treadmill close to the TVs to watch the free cable! I haven't been to the other two 24 hour gyms between 5 and 6am, but I am assuming they suffer from the same affliction.
  5. They haven't figured out a way to air condition the entire country of Iraq, so on my way to work I have to walk in the heat between my room and my bus stop, then between my bus and the hangar!
  6. The "haji-mart", as they call the bazaar of local vendors that comes and sets up once a month on post to sell tea sets, knock-off watches, random crappy paintings, a multitude of pocket knives, scarves, cigars, and other local-flavory chotzkies only takes cash, check, Visa, Eagle Cash Card, and Discover. NO AMEX! Savages!

You can send sympathy cards to the address noted in the post below.

Gotta run. I'm off to my 3-nights-a-week jiu jitsu group, then midnight chow at the all-you-can-eat buffet chow hall after that. Wonder if it's gonna be a Baskin Robbins night...

That is all.

2 comments:

  1. The first thing that comes to mind is man you're really roughing it, heh. But being away from your family is the other side of the coin so live it up in war hell. Adriana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im headed to Sadr City area, I don't think I will have it that easy. Good luck and be safe.
    marsh Combat Medic 1/1 ad

    ReplyDelete