Thursday, May 7, 2009

Officially a Blackhawk pilot.

Killing stuff is OUT. Picking stuff up and moving it around is IN. Woot.

As of Monday, I am officially a qualified UH-60 Blackhawk pilot. We took our checkrides, and my stick buddy and I passed with fairly flying colors. I have mixed feelings about leaving Apaches. I would have liked to have gotten deployed at least once with that airframe, but there are things I definitely like about being a lift puke. Basically, the Blackhawk's job is to move stuff around. Whether it be people, supplies, parts, etc, I am basically now a glorified UPS driver with a little bit of taxi cab driver mixed in. Here's what I like about it:
  1. The Blackhawk has a much more varied mission. This helicopter was made to be versatile. The Apache was made for one reason: to blow stuff up. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

  2. I can actually perform the mission without getting deployed. Being in an Apache unit for almost 9 years and never having been deployed feels a little bit like being on a baseball team and only practicing. Basically I've been sitting on the bench for the last 9 years and never got in the game. With 60's, I will be able to play more.

  3. One word: crew. Apaches have only 2 seats, and they're both occupied by pilots. That means it's only me and one other dude. In the Blackhawk, including the other pilot, the crew chief, and the 11 combat troops I can carry, that's 13 other guys that can find out how good of a helicopter pilot I am at one time! :)

I will miss flying guns. But here's to getting in the game.

1 comment: